It’s no secret that we enjoy many of the recipes from nutritionist Cyndy O’Meara founder of Changing Habits and this Chicken soup recipe is no different. Not only is it delicious and you will enjoy every mouth full, but it’s packed full of nutrients using ingredients to boost your immune system. Perfect as we head into the Winter months.
Having soup on hand throughout Winter is also great way to ensure you have a quick and easy meal ready to go, whether it’s for lunch or dinner.
- 1 x whole organic chicken
- 1 large onions, diced
- 2 celery sticks and leaves chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 leek, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Changing Habits Seaweed Salt, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Changing Habits Coconut Oil
- Approximately 2 Litres filtered water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (for serving)
- Heat a large frying pan on a medium heat, add some coconut oil to the pan and allow to melt.
- Add the chicken to the frying pan and brown the chicken all over.
- Place the chicken into a slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add just enough filtered water to cover the chicken and cook on a low heat for 5-6 hours.
- The soup is ready when the vegetables are tender, the meat is falling off the bones and the broth is flavoursome.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and take the meat off the bones
- Add the chicken meat back into the pot and mix through
- Ladle the soup into the bowls and serve with a squeeze of lemon juice on top (optional) and salt and pepper to taste.