Well it’s officially Spring, when the weather gets warmer and the seasons change, so does the fresh produce available at our local markets. Making it time for delicious Summer fruits and fresh, healthy salads as our taste buds start to shift from wanting hearty Winter dishes to fresh and light Summer flavours.
So we thought we would kick Spring off and share this delicious fruit salad recipe with you from Two Peas and Their Pod. With a combination of Mango and berries, this Quinoa Fruit Salad is delicious, healthy and perfect for breakfast, lunch or after a twilight swim for a light dinner when the warmer weather comes around.
FOR THE QUINOA:
- 1 cup quinoa (I used Red Quinoa)
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE HONEY LIME DRESSING:
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
FOR THE FRUIT:
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mango
- Extra chopped mint, for garnish-optional
- Using a strainer, rinse the quinoa under cold water. Add quinoa, water, and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Let quinoa cool to room temperature.
- To make the Honey Lime Dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk the lime juice, honey, and mint together until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, blueberries, strawberries, and mango. Pour honey lime dressing over the fruit salad and mix until well combined. Garnish with additional mint, if desired. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Note-Use your favorite fruit in this salad. Blackberries, peaches, kiwi, raspberries, pineapple, grapes, etc. are great options!